[SPARCbook] Tadpole HD and Power supply

Sunder sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 21 09:35:47 CST 2000

see http://www.sunder.net/sparcbook

As long as it's just the plug, you should be able to open the case and
resolder it back.  If you're not experienced with soldering, either
practice on old junk equipment or take it to someone who is.

It should be a very easy fix unless other components were broken.

Re: Replacement power supplies: see www.thinkgeek.com - they sell
mini-desk fridges.  They sell the power supply for these separately for
about $20.  These are the right kind of power supply from the ratings
($12V, 4A), but you'll have to replace the connector. :) $2 at Radio Shack
and a bit of soldering should do the trick.

In terms of batteries, it should be possible to buy (I think 10) matched
AA NiMH's, crack open the Tadpole pack (careful so you don't break the
termoresistor or plugs) and replace the dead batteries with fresh ones.

However, bewarned - I never managed to get more than about 1 hour and 15
mins out of mine - and that was with the disk not spinning up, and almost
no processes running.  Most of the time 45mins is it. :)

 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :aren't security.  A |share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:camera won't stop a |monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :masked killer, but  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :will violate privacy|site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------