[SPARCbook] Help

sparcbook at sunhelp.org sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 14 12:48:27 CST 2000

HELP!

1.  When using Linux or Windows 2000, I can press the up button and recall
previous commands; this is very useful to me since I am a lousy typist.
Can you do that with UNIX on a 3XP??

2.  With Linux I can use the alias command to replace a long command with
a short string; viz. if I issue the command dir='ls -aFl ' then to get "ls
-aFl" all I need to do is issue the command "dir".  This does not seem to
work with the 3XP; when I issue the command dir='ls -aFl', the machine
accepts it but when I type "dir" I get a "dir - not recognized" response?

Thanks,
Oscar Farah