[SPARCbook] Re: TDK 5660 PCMCIA modem and GSM?

Chris Powell sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 10 08:43:49 CST 2000

On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 19:35:43 +0000, Tom Kranz wrote:

> One thing, however - I'd like to use my GSM phone on the train, plugged
> into the Sparcbook, for PPP on the move.
>
> Now, TDK's Global Freedom 5660 PCMCIA modem has GSM upgrade kits for my
> phone (an Ericsson T28s) - as I understand it, this is just a special
> cable to connect the two (a bit of a rip off at over 90 UKP).

I use a T28s coupled to a IrDA modem (the T28s has no built-in modem)
with a Psion 5mx. I've often thought how to get a SPARCbook talking to
the T28s.

I have a mad idea that a serial to IrDA adaptor could be made to
connect into the SPARCbook's serial port (or buy such a device called
a 'GERBiL'), then write a serial IrDA driver for Solaris (by poaching
bits from the Linux driver :)

Ericsson makes a data cable for the 4 volt handset 'phones (T10, T18
etc.). Ericsson also make one for 3 volt phones, but only mentions
certain models (not the T28s). As the T28 doesn't have a built-in
modem, the data cable may not be enough.

This info obviously doesn't help much if you are using a PCMCIA modem.

Chris.