[SPARCbook] Re: Free Tadpole Patches

Matthew Haas sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 9 11:43:34 CST 2000

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, paul daley wrote:

> Solaris 2.6 hardware version 3/98 or 5/98 than load the last two tar.z
> files from ftp://ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/S3-patches/Solaris_2.6/
>
> > Does anyone know what versions of Solaris 2.6 can be patched for free (I
> > heard that only some revisions will work)?  Also I want to say that I only
> > have one real problem with Tadpole:  They don't have an Internship/Coop
> > program and therefore won't hire me.  ;)

Since we're on the topic of free patches, I would like to get a final
concrete answer on this:

 I have Solaris 1.1.1 (SunOS 4.1.3_U1) straight out Sun version with
license, etc. etc.

 I have a SPARCbook 3GX, as well as an additional hard drive sled (thanks
Paul! :)) with 810MB drive waiting to be used.

 I have downloaded all the patches from Tadpole's FTP site regarding
Solaris 1.1.1, as well as the NCE stuff from the Solaris 1.1 directory.

 What I'd like to know is:

 Do I have what it takes to load SunOS on my SPARCbook and get all the
nifty Tadpole hardware support (power management, PCMCIA, sound, modem,
external monitor, etc.)?

 I just want to play with SunOS... I've always found myself to be more of
a BSD person than SYS V, and although I have Solaris 2.5.1 w/ the
appropriate patches from Tadpole's FTP, I'd prefer to run the old SunOS.
There was a statement once on the list that suggested that one would need
a modified version of SunOS as it used a modified kernel... I'd just like
to figure out the facts and myths of this.

 Thanks!

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||      400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  NetBSD1.4.2 * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  Star Raiders * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -