[SPARCbook] passwd cracking

Ken Hansen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 8 16:02:23 CST 2000

I don't consider this to be a flame response, but this has been gone over a
few times before, and there simply is no way around it - for now.

What the man from Tadpole (I assume) was saying is that, they have paying
customers using this software (it is a source of revenue), and when that
source of revenue dries up (everyone moves on to Solaris 8, or Tadpole no
longer supports the platform), they will not choose to give the product away
for free. In other words, it will be made freely available when no one is
willing to pay for it.

This laptop is not part of the "PC Market," and comparisons between the two
are fairly pointless, IMHO. Why not argue that you want cheaper RAM kits -
$1500 for 128 Meg of RAM is too much? Yeah, and what about those battery
prices? Hey, why are the AC adapters so expensive? And of course, don't get
me started on HD prices!

Really, what is the reason you *need* Solaris 7 on your SPARCbook? What
isn't available for Solaris 2.6 that  is only available for Solaris 7?

Ken

(When your Optiplex was built, it was only sold *with* a special Microsoft
license for WinNT/9X, BTW)