[SPARCbook] passwd cracking

Ian Spray sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 8 07:08:21 CST 2000

On 08-Nov-00 Ken Hansen wrote:
> Now you did it - is Solaris 8 a supported OS for S3000 (and 3GXen)?

No.  Make that No no no :)

The original poster said he was running 8 - that's nothing to do with
Tadpole:

On 07-Nov-00 Carl Lewis wrote:

> The normal method of booting from a cdrom and mounting the existing slice
> containing /etc does not work because Solaris v8 10-00 that I used did not
> find the internal hard drive.
> I installed v8 on an external disk and it runs fine, sees display as a
> dumb mono terminal. BUT sees no internal hard drive.

The reason Solaris 8 doesn't see the IDE drive is that it isn't supported
for the S3000.  However, there is no reason why taking the drive out and
placing it in a desktop running 8 would casue a problem.

> ;^)

Thankfully :)

> Not that I would run Solaris 8 on 64 Megs RAM and a 110 Mhz Sun4m CPU...

Why not ?  I haven't tried S8 at all (yet), but I certainly didn't feel that
7 was any worse in day to day desktop performance than 2.6  If you have any
feelings about the general performance of 8 then I would be interested to
know (off-list if you want).

TTFN,

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-RDI
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/