[SPARCbook] PCMCIA hds, PCFS, network, IDE

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Wed Mar 29 09:26:34 CST 2000

Hello,

> > http://www.adtx.co.jp. They were willing to sell me one of these bridges,
> > but I couldn't find any local bank that could say any definitive word about
> > wire transfers to japan. I still want one of these though, even at the $199
> > price point they quoted.
>
> I bought a 6.4 Gig HD from the vendor listed on the FAQ (an IDE drive
> with an adapter installed for SCSI) for $429 ready to be dropped into
> my SPARCBook - now you can find 6.4 Gig IDE notebook drives for less
> than $200, but to simply order and receive the combination was very
> nice 8^)
>
> I can always yank the 6.4 Gig drive and swap in a 12 Gig or greater
> drive if needed, but really, will I need more? I can get a nice dual
> OS system running with 6.4 Gig of HD, but YMMV...
>
> Ken

I was under the impression that there was an 8 or 9 GB limit on drive size
with the IDE-SCSI adapters.  Is this fixed in the new version of them, or
am I mistaken?  I was lucky enough to get a 2 GB tadpole drive with an
adapter, so was able to drop in a 8 or 9 GB IBM IDE drive without trouble.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com -- http://www.misty.com/)