[SPARCbook] 3GX overheating issues?

Matthew Haas wedge at onlineimage.com
Sat Mar 25 11:09:33 CST 2000

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Sunder wrote:

> When installing Solaris 2.6 (non Tadpole version) point a nice big fan at
> your sparcbook since it doesn't have power management and runs at full
> speed!

I'm running NetBSD on mine... pulled off the install last night... it got
a little warm, but not as warm as it did compiling bash and the pine
suite.

Without any real form of power management, are there any settings I can
set which help keep things cool? (Is it possible to manually slow down the
processor in the PROM?)

> Always open the little legs, don't let it sit flat on a desk surface as
> heat will build up under it.  For my install, I placed a slab of marble
> tile under it, raised its legs, and aimed the fan at it.

I try to set it on my lap, one leg supporting each side, for as long as I
can, then when it's doing something which doesn't need my immediate
attention (compiling) I set it on the floor, the back propped up by its
little feet, and the front propped up by a book.

> Recently I purchased a PCMCIA fan from 3dcool.com(??) for about $25 or so.
> If you don't use any PC cards in your SPARCbook, it's a great thing to put
> in.

Considering there is no PCMCIA support in NetBSD (as far as I'm aware) I
think I will do this.

> I've recently acquired a 3GX as an upgrade my old 3GS, both apparently had
> broken nipple mouse pointers.  (See my sparcbook SAQ page off Scott
> Yellich's web site for those details.)  If you take it apart, you'll see
> that the pointer is right smack over the CPU.

I've experienced more heat coming out of the bottom than out the keyboard
(but it is present). I keep the screen up at all times when it is on. I
know someone suggested putting big rubber feet on the bottom for more
clearance.. what about placing some sort of fan underneath when its
propped up, or will that interfere with any circulation?

I notice that the internal battery gets a little warm too... I've also
heard some people have varying mileage removing the batteries.

> Heat is bad news for these little beasties...  Keep them as cool as
> possible.

Heck, why not just take a few PC heatsinks and mount them to the bottom :)

Thanks.

      * * *       Atari 8-bit!  Battlestar: Galactica * Descent * SCSI
      * * *      400/800/XL/XE  Star Raiders * Galaga * SPARCstation LX
  *  *  *  *  * 2600/5200/7800  Star Wars * Voltron * Star Trek * Summer
--Linux/SPARC-Debian-2.1--------------!  ! ! L I N U X ! !  !-----2.2.14--