[SPARCbook] 3GX overheating issues?

Lion Templin ltemplin at leonine.com
Sat Mar 25 02:25:51 CST 2000

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Matthew Haas wrote:

>   I've heard something of an ability of the SPARCbook 3GX to overheat in
> intensive situations. And not wanting to damage my existing hardware, I'd
> like to look into the methods available to minimize such risks.
>   Any other tips? Pointers?

With a certain "voodoo" quality, it's been said to never close the unit
while operating, doing so could damage the TFT screen becuase of rising heat
from the processor under the keyboard.  Some cases, as I've heard, have said
that such damage went away, others say it was permanent.  I, myself, have
the screeen propped open a couple inches when operating with a full size
monitor.  I cannot verify, nor wish to attempt to verify, this specific
voodoo warning.  :)

Lion

= lion is Lion J Templin (KB9ENE)                         lion at leonine.com =
=  ||        //             ||>            UNIX Systems Consulting for the =
=  ||=EONINE \\OMPUTATIONAL ||\ESOURCES       Northland FROM the Northland =
=  UNIX Systems Consultants                         http://www.leonine.com =