[SPARCbook] SPARCbook 3GX RAM upgradeability

Julian Coleman J.D.Coleman at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Mar 20 10:50:35 CST 2000

Michael Lorenz wrote:
> I didn't try Linux because NetBSD seems to be a bit more advanced here.
> SCSI, Network and the standard Sun stuff works, the RS232 ports (which
> require to be powered up by software to be used, so they won't work with
> basic Sun serial support ) are worked on and support should be finished
> in the next couple of weeks, basic power management works (eg. switching
> off the screen, clocking down the processor in case it gets too hot and
> so on), support for the internal modem seems under way. I don't know
> about PCMCIA and ISDN, but someone works on the soundchip.

NetBSD:

The serial ports are now working, although I've had a report of garbage from
ttya when conencted to a Classic.  I haven't had time to investigate further.
The ports are only powered when they are in use (should save a little power),
although this can be changed to always on, always off, or on when open.

While I'm here, does anyone have any information about what the auxilliary
and auxilliary register 2 do?  The Tadpole technical documentation seems to
have the standard Sun documentation where it discusses them.  Unfortunately,
this is not correct on a Sparcbook.

Thanks,

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/