[SPARCbook] solaris 2.5.1 patch question

Rainer Canavan canavan at cs.bonn.edu
Sun Mar 12 10:51:34 CST 2000

> Hi
>
> I still have 2.5.1 on my laptop (hopefully will be getting a 2.6 cd soon).
> But for now i wanted to apply all of Suns Recomended patches for 2.5.1
>
> I did not see this specifically addressed in FAQ... is it safe to apply
> all of Sun's patches (including Y2K patches) to a 3GX?

No, it's not safe. You won't even be able to boot. Worse yet, in case you apply
the wrong subset of patches, the sparcbook _will_ boot, but you won't be able
to login or reboot cleanly (L1-A, sync, reset).

> I checked tadpoles website, but it doesn't seem to have any recent
> information on what to install, and what not to install.

If you find that, tell me. I _have_ all patches installed, but I backed out
some files from the kernel by hand. You probably don't want to do this, unless
you have a second harddisk to boot from when you can not boot from the internal
drive... booting from CD, even a 32x takes way too long, considering you will
have to do this dozens of times if you want as many patches as possible.

And, no, I don't have a list of files that I backed out, but I could easily
send you the md5sums of all the kernel files I have.

> A friend of mine said he hosed his Solaris install by applying 2.5.1 Y2K
> patches, so I am being wary....
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

Rainer