[SPARCbook] Sparckbook 3XP and SCSI bus

sparcbook at sunhelp.org sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 22 11:59:59 CST 2000

We've got a Sparckbook 3XP here that's having some minor problems.

THe first symptom was that it wouldn't boot off an internal sled.  I tried
several sleds, including some known good ones, and it wouldn't FIND them.
I checked switch settings, reseated, etc.  I tried 'boot', 'boot disk',
and the 'boot /iommu...' string that I think is correct.  No dice.

Step 2 was external devices.  Specifically, an external SCSI CD-ROM and
known good sleds in the external bay.  Same dice.  Nothing from 'boot
disk', 'boot', 'boot cdrom', or any 'boot /iommu...' combination.

Step 3 - probe-scsi and probe-scsi-all.  Both return nothing, regardless
of devices plugged in.

Step 4 - 'test scsi'.  This is where the real problem is, I believe - it
gives me an error that it doesn't know what device 'scsi' is.  I get the
same problem if I do 'test net'.

I believe the problem here is that the symlinks between scsi, net, disk,
cdrom, etc. and the proper positions on the device tree are broken.
Problem is, I can't figure out how to reseat them.

So, three questions here:

1.  Does this diagnosis make sense?  Can this happen?
2.  If so, how can I reset the symlinks?
3.  I think, partially, I'm having trouble with the boot command when
attempting to specify a full path.  Can someone point me somewhere that
explains it better than the help?  For instance, my personal SB boots fine
with 'boot disk' - how would I rewrite this command to tell it the
specific position on the device tree?

Any help MOST appreciated.  May even get you an 'atta-boy'.

Thanks.

-------Patrick M Geahan------pmgeahan at home.com-------ICQ:3784715------
Quote of the Week: "Where in the bible does it say `God so loved the
world that he congested bandwidth by forwarding email to everyone in
his address book?'" - Tom Sevart in alt.folklore.urban