[SPARCbook] Dialup with pppd

Eric Busto ebusto at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 20 18:36:21 CDT 1999

This is a two-fold problem really.. I put GNU PPP on my Sparcbook 3GS, and
after an hour or so or playing around (its tough with a broken Sun cc
compiler and not having make..), I managed to get the binaries set up, and
the kernel drivers and whatnot.  All that seems good and installed.  Now,
when I pop in my Megahertz 28.8 modem, and tell pppd to use it
(/dev/cua/pc0), its not dialing out from what I can tell.  Using tip, it
says: "link down".  This rather leads me to believe that the PCMCIA modem
isn't functional.. Ok, so I tried with the internal modem.  Tip says its ok,
and it dials fine with pppd and chat, however, when it connects,
/etc/ppp/connect-errors seems to show each character as popping up double..
(ie: CCOONNEECCTT 2288000000.... you get the idea).  So, any ideas as to
ways to 1) getting the pcmcia modem working, and/or 2) fixing this double
character stuff so pppd can attempt to authenticate.  Thanks in advance.

-Eric