[SPARCbook] Re: IRC

Swift Kick cain at nemeton.org
Fri Sep 3 03:40:14 CDT 1999

With all due respect to all those fine people you mention on your post,
here's my 2 cents...

Bill Bradford wrote:

<snip>

> Oh really?  I'm a #unix regular, and I havent seen a h4x0r kiddie in
> there in MONTHS.. thats what #linux and #root are for.  You can usually
> find me, CHris Petro (author of the "FixSolaris" document), Melody Yoon
> (head Solaris admin @ Hotmail), Jordan Hubbard (of FreeBSD fame), etc,
> in there on a nightly basis.

AHEM.  #linux, no question. #root, hold a minute.  Being a #root
regular, I can say that there aren't really any "h4x0r kiddies" there.
As a matter of fact, they're usually removed fairly quickly from the
channel, once they show their colors.
There's a number of very knowledgeable people in #root as well, among
them Randall Schwartz (author of O'Reilly's Learning Perl, and co-author
of Programming Perl), Melody Yoon (who you also mentioned), and a few
others, some of which are also members of this list.
Being on EFnet for the past 4 or 5 years, I could also say that #unix
may be a rather 'asinine' channel at times, not necessarily everyone in
there, but a few select individuals that seem to take the BOFH attitude
a little too serious.
I urge you to keep your personal opinions of a particular channel away
from this list, since it is up to the individual to decide what may suit
his needs best.

Regards
Paul

Paul Santos                                   uzziel at erols.com