[SPARCbook] 16/32 bit GS?

patl at phoenix.volant.org patl at phoenix.volant.org
Fri Aug 27 16:25:53 CDT 1999

On 27-Aug-99 at 00:48, Michael Lorenz (ml at wisent.de) wrote:
> Greetings !
>
> > MY 3GS seems to "crash" out of CDE and take me back to the CDE login
> > screen whenever I use fbconfig -m 2 or fbconfig -m 4 ... and microsoft
> > explorer 5.  Has anyone else witnessed a sparcbook 3 GS/GX exhibiting
> > this type of behaviour?  I thought there was a tadpole patch for
> > 16bitness or something, but all of the tadpole pacthes were installed --
> > and it's still crashing.
>
> My 3GX runs at 16bit colour all the time but not CDE ( it was the forst
> thing I wiped from the harddisk ) and OpenWindows runs fine, not to
> speak of KDE ...
> So it may be CDE's fault.

I doubt it - I'm running my 3GX in 32 bit mode with no problems under
CDE.  Make sure you have all of the Tadpole patches applied - some of
them are probably more recent than the installation that cam on the box.

Instead of using fbconfig, try using the NCE GUI.

    1.	From a dtterm, run 'NCE2 &'

    2.	In the NCE window, click on the 'Display' icon.

    3.	In the Display Control window, select 'Internal SVGA [Depth 32]'
	in the list, and '800x600' in the 'X Server Resolution' menu.
	(I don't know what the maximum resolution is at this depth; I
	just hate panning around in a larger virtual screen.)

    4.	A warning dialog will pop up telling you that the X server must
	be restarted for the option to take effect.  Click 'Ok'.

    5.	Exit CDE and log in again.  (Dtlogin will restart the X server
	in the new depth.)

    6.	In the dtterm, run xdpyinfo - it should report only two supported
	pixmap formats: depth 1 (bpp 1) and depth 24 (bpp 32)

    7.	In the NCE Display Control window, verify that the '...[Depth
32]'
	entry is still selected, and click 'Make Default'.  (You could
	have done this before the exit/relogin; but a little paranoia is
	a good thing...)

Optional:

    8.	Exit NCE

    9.	If the CDE panel doesn't look more colorful than it did in 8bpp
	mode, bring up the CDE Style Manager, click on the 'Number of
	Colors...' button, and select 'More Colors for Desktop'.

-Pat