[rescue] Cox residential?

U'll Be King of the Stars ullbeking at andrewnesbit.org
Mon Jul 22 12:42:24 CDT 2019

On 22/07/2019 16:51, Scott Newell wrote:
> At 10:47 AM 7/22/2019, U'll Be King of the Stars wrote:
>
>> Why don't you get a cheap VPS that offers static IP and use that instead?
>
> I've been doing just that (with prgmr.com) since 2010.

Thanks for the link.  I have a short list of preferred VPS providers and
this one looks like a good addition to the list.

I agree that it's good to host services on one's own hardware,
preferably on site with personal, private access.  I do it with one of
my ISP's, but there I have the privilege of a static IP address.

Now that I have thought about it in more detail...

If I didn't have a static IP then /maybe/ I wouldn't want the extra
hassle.  Sometimes an ISP's IP details are officially dynamic but in
practice static.  I have found that, these days, honest and competent
technical support teams are pretty forthcoming with this kind of
information.

I have no idea about Cox.

Even if the IP details change every six months or so, 6-24 hours of
user-visible downtime while DNS updates propagate is acceptable for a
non-critical personal website.

It's also good to share the hosting with a variety of third-party
services too.  I generally spread my services around.

But all that's me personally.

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9