[rescue]   Sun Ultra5 emulation, was: more sun2 adventures!

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Tue Jan 8 16:38:14 CST 2019

On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 10:31:10PM +0000, Andrew Luke Nesbit wrote:
> On 08/01/2019 22:20, Peter Stokes wrote:
> > Yep, the 10s tend to be rarer and hence more expensive and will I guess
> > increase as they become harder to find...
>
> Why is this the case?  Is there something about the Ultra 10 in
> particular that makes them particularly desirable?  Or are they prone to
> fail more quickly?  What's behind this proposition?  :-)

The Ultra 10 didn't sell anywhere close to the # of units the Ultra 5 did.
We had tons of the Ultra 5 desktops. I'm not sure I ever saw an Ultra 10.

I'd suspect the price was quite a bit higher for the same insides, which
probably cheesed off some people.

It coming in a "PC Minitower case" probably was a turnoff to most
people using SPARC desktops at the time as well.