[rescue] Sun Ultra5 emulation, was: more sun2 adventures!

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Tue Jan 8 13:00:09 CST 2019

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com>
> "
> " QEMU will emulate a sparc and you can run the SSP software on anything,
> " even Sparc 5s or 20s.
>
> i conjecture the only limit would be minimum solaris ver, if there is
> one.
>
> " https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/SPARC
> "
> " When I was a wee lad we were told that the E10Ks just used JTAG and then it
> " was JTAG encapsulated over TCP/IP once the Controllers in the E10K booted
> " far enough and saw the SSPs.
>
> the std setup is with a dedicated ethernet linking the ssp to the big
> iron.  does it have to be dedicated?  and can the ssp box front-end
> for more than one e10k/e25k [at a time], or are things like link ip
> nailed?

As Jonathan pointed out, the E10k has an external SSP, while later
machines in the series (15k/25k/SunFire 6800s, etc) had internal ones.

To your question, however, there is notes in the documentation
specifically pointing out that the control is done via encapsulated JTAG
and the underlying _suggestion_ is that running regular traffic on the
same network Would Be A Mistake. I've always assumed that the Control
Board (the board in the E10k with the network interface that passes all
the requests into the system) was not designed to handle seeing other
traffic and may do Indeterminate Things when it's seeing packets it's not
specifically designed to expect.

The SSPs are documented to be paired to a single system. Jonathan
mentioned hostview handling multiple platforms, however I believe he may
be mistaken - hostview can handle multiple *domains*, but I don't remember
ever seeing anything that refers to alternate platforms anywhere.
For reference, a Platform is the Whole Machine (The E10k), and a Domain
is a subset of the machine that runs a standalone instance of Solaris. A
Domain has a minimum of one System Board, and a maximum of 16 (the whole
machine) - so you can run up to 16 domains with 1 System Board each, or 1
Domain with 16 SBs, or a mix in between.

This being said, I haven't fired my E10k up since March of last year, but
I'd run it a bunch of times in the prior six months or so (it's on YouTube
if you have any interest in watching an idiot work out how to use an
ex-multi-million-dollar super). It's certainly possible I'm forgetting
something.

> not that i'm ever likely to be faced with the real-life challenge,
> just idle curiosity.

They're still out there, should you wish to be. :)

Thanks again, guys. Really.

  - JP