[rescue] Sun Ultra5 emulation, was: more sun2 adventures!

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Tue Jan 8 11:56:54 CST 2019

The SF25k/15k has a built-in SSP. The E10K and CS6400s had external SSPs.
For the 10K were always sold as an active/passive SSP cluster for an
individual 10K. That said there seemed to be hooks in the SSP software
where it could talk to more than one platform; I think the visual app for
the SSP was called "hostview" and it seemed to be able to do multiple
systems. It would be a fun test for someone who didn't have to worry about
their electric bill.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 5:12 PM Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:

> " From: Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com>
> "
> " QEMU will emulate a sparc and you can run the SSP software on anything,
> " even Sparc 5s or 20s.
>
> i conjecture the only limit would be minimum solaris ver, if there is
> one.
>
> " https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/SPARC
> "
> " When I was a wee lad we were told that the E10Ks just used JTAG and then
> it
> " was JTAG encapsulated over TCP/IP once the Controllers in the E10K booted
> " far enough and saw the SSPs.
>
> the std setup is with a dedicated ethernet linking the ssp to the big
> iron.  does it have to be dedicated?  and can the ssp box front-end
> for more than one e10k/e25k [at a time], or are things like link ip
> nailed?
>
> not that i'm ever likely to be faced with the real-life challenge,
> just idle curiosity.

-Jon
+44 7792 149029