[rescue] Need other Solaris 8 (2/04) disk ISOs

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Sat Oct 6 00:26:07 CDT 2018

I'll try to answer your questions in order...

Jumpstart isn't what I want to bother with.... I'm not looking to set up
another machine just to be able to load the OS on this machine.
I don't currently have a DVD drive that will work in this unit (I did try 5
drives that I have, all of which work in other machines but don't
seem to like this box... )  I don't have an external DVD drive set up right
now that I can directly interface to this.

Given the lack of success with the other drives (all of which I would have
thought wouldn't have an issue) I don't feel like
spending more $$ trying to guess what would work.   If someone can point me
to a model that would work that's fine I've just not
had any luck on this machine with one.  I figured the disk images would be
a more direct way to get things loaded.

Yes, I'd want the other disks as well.  I'm a long time Sun user ( have a
Sun 1/100, 2/120, 3/110, 4/110 along with many other boxes)
so I have plenty of OS versions just not Solaris 8 in CD form.  I've got
tapes for Sun OS 3.4-> to the Solaris releases on CD and DVD.
...  and I'm not interested in setting up Solaris 10 or 11.  I  don't know
that it would but wouldn't be any easier to get on it,, again DVD...
... and given I'm not a fan of Oracle I figured 8  would be a good one
without all the Oracle branding... and I have the full patch cluster for
it,
so I don't have to fight that.The Solaris 9-> I have all have Oracle labels
all thru the OS... boot, etc. I wanted to have a "Sun Solaris" box running.
That's it.

(As is, .. I do a lot of Vintage Computer work and just wanted to have one
"somewhat-recent" Sun running again... I don't have big plans for it....
just wanted one in my 8 ft rack... the V120 fit the space and desire. Might
run some simple things on it, but nothing earth shattering)

 I've made basic ISO images on my Mac and PC with the DVDs and CDs. Wasn't
anything special... I used Toast on my Mac recently.

I believe I have the memory maxed in the machine.  I know adding memory
always helps...

I'm not surprised that you don't quite get why I wouldn't want the latest
OS on it...I seem to run into a lot of folks who don't
understand that I might not need to run the latest and greatest and push
every piece of hardware as far forward as it can go.
My Sun 1 running Sun OS 3.5 is still useful and has some fun things that I
like to use it for... I liked SunView... and the more "BSD" flavor of
Sun OS.  If anything I'm trying to set up earlier versions of the OS for it
rather than try to push it forward.  I've found in my Vintage Computer work
that
the older OSs are of interest themselves and always an educational
experience for both me and the folks I can show it to.  Many folks haven't
seen Sun OS 3.5... much less earlier versions (esp. at our VCF SE shows..)

I can set up a FTP server for you to drop the ISO's if you can get them
made. I'd appreciate it, but understand if you don't have the time...
Just let me know.

Earl