[rescue] [geeks] Hardware Recommendations for upgrading sunhelp.org?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Oct 1 13:06:18 CDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 12:59:37PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>First off, sorry about your mother's passing.

Thanks.

>As you know, 32 gigs of DDR4 RAM is $300 retail, that only leaves $300 for
>CPU/MB... And a  current-gen i7 CPU is $300 retail, leaving you $0 for an MB.

I've been looking at this:

(amazon)
"AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler (YD1600BBAEBOX) and
GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3 AMD RYZEN AM4 B350 RGB Fusion Smart Fan 5 HDMI1.4
M.2 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.1 Type-A ATX DDR4 Motherboard" - $245.08

"Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz (PC4-19200) C14 memory
kit for DDR4 Systems" - $279.99

total of $525.07 plus tax.

>A quad-core i5 might be a better choice
>For example, at microcenter, which is in Houston:
>i5-7500 $199.05
>http://www.microcenter.com/product/485323/Core_i5-7500_Kaby_Lake_34_GHz_LGA_1
>151_Boxed_Processor

Only 4 cores/threads.. doesn't give me much of an advantage over what I've got
now - looking for 4c/8t or better :(

>MB w/ 6 SATA ports $28.99 (after $30 disc when bought w/CPU)
>http://www.microcenter.com/product/502815/B250M_PRO-VDH_LGA_1151_mATX_Intel_M
>otherboard
>2x 16 Gig DDR4 lots of 2x 8 Gig DDR4 $139.99/ea
>http://www.microcenter.com/product/446298/Ballistix_Sport_LT_16GB_2_x_8GB_DDR
>4-2400_PC4-19200_CL16_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit
>For a total price of $550.95, incl. $41.99 in sales tax.

Interesting..

>Reusing existing DDR3 ram would be my suggestion, but that forces you into
>older MB/CPUs.

I don't mind older, as long as its better than what I have now.

>I built up a couple nice VM servers for home use with AMD FX-8320E Black
>Edition CPUs and cheap ASUS M5A78L-M Plus motherboards. They used DDR3 RAM
>which I had 8x 8 gig sticks of, so each server has 32 Gig RAM and 8x 3.2 GHz
>cores. After discounts and rebates at MicroCenter, I paid under $100 for
>CPU/MB, but that was over 6 months ago.

I actually have an fx8320 and motherboard for it, for what was going to be the
LAST round of upgrades, that I bought 4-5 years ago - but never got around to
throwing it together, and now at this point just want to get something more
recent.  I may still build that box and dedicate it to VMs.  At least, I think
I still have it.. somewhere...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford