[rescue] emacs for sunos 4.1.4

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Mon May 28 21:59:56 CDT 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 10:27:26PM -0400, john wrote:
> I can't remember if emacs came on the CD, assume it didn't. so since i
> have this crackerjack sparc10, up and running with some disk space,
> where should I look for a suitable emacs?

No, Sun didn't do freeware releases for SunOS v4.1.4.

It would probably be best to compile from source.

Assuming you have a gcc bootstraped up from the pre-K&R compiler that
was included to build the kernel, or you have the appropriate Sun
Workshop compilers installed..

I'd head over to ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/ and find something old
and apropos to the era, like Emacs 21, before the cleaned up all the
ancient Unix code out. It compiles pretty readily, although
bootstrapping emacs itself has all the hoary details abstracted out
for you assuming you are on a supported system. SunOS v4 in the '90s
was definately still a supported system.