[rescue] child, please. was Re: emacs vs. Word!, was Re: SUN PCMCIA SBus Card

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon May 28 13:34:32 CDT 2018

On 05/28/2018 02:07 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>    So you say.  Fortunately, the world doesn't have to listen to you.
>
> It doesn't have to and don't insist on it.
>
> Of course, some 20 or so professional publications have bought my words, so
> they do. A few hundred thousand readers do too. They doubtless don't all
> agree but then I don't expect them to.
>
> My few hundred paying clients since 1988, they mostly listened, too.
>
> And then there's the fact that every new editor for every OS since about
> 1985 has conformed, too. And the fact that those pre-existing editors
> already on sale switched, such as Word for MS DOS from v4.x to 5.x, or
> WordPerfect around the same time, and Samna from its DOS products to its
> Windows ones.
>
> But, you know, apart from _every editor in the world since then_, no,
> nobody's listening.  :-D

  Oh, here we go.  Do you really want to play
whip-it-out-and-slap-it-on-the-table?  Ok!

  How about my hundreds of paying clients starting a year before yours,
but doing actual technical work.  How about the millions of lines of
code written in something like 14 languages, some of which are orbiting
the planet, still others are guiding missiles in desert wastelands
helping my corrupt government (and yours) pursue oil and control.

  Shall we move to listing specific projects?  Shall we rate the
importance of those projects?  Shall we enumerate the languages in which
we execute our respective crafts?  Want to just flat-out list
accomplishments, and then rate them as to which ones people will
remember after we're pushing up daisies?  Do you really want to do that?
 Are you sure?

  It's amusing that you went down this road first.  It's usually me who
does it when you show up.  I'm not the same guy you fought with on
classiccmp so many years ago.  But you certainly are.  At least I've
bettered myself since then.  You should try it; mum would be proud.
Mine is.  (she's a journalist too, BTW, but a real one who writes for
AP, and interviews people who the public has actually heard of)

  But you do get points for knowing about Samna.  What a nice program
that was.  (the DOS version)

  Why don't you try poking fun at my weight next?  Or maybe the fact
that I don't have a great complexion.  Maybe compare the size of your
wife's tits to those of mine?  (goodness knows you'd definitely lose out
by that metric)

  Where shall we really go from here, Liam?

  I know.  How about "Go away kid, you bother me."  I have work to do
today.  Last week I started a new contract which will save peoples'
lives.  Next time you get bored and troll me, maybe I'll thwap THAT on
the table.

  *plonk*

              -Dave

--