[rescue] emacs vs. Word!, was Re: SUN PCMCIA SBus Card

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon May 28 10:57:30 CDT 2018

On 05/28/2018 11:35 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>    Well there you get into the trap of removing or changing functionality
>> to conform to the menu system.  I think that's backwards.  You may
> disagree.
>
> There is one model used by every extant editor on every OS, including
> *every* Unix graphical text editor.

  Yup.  Lots of copies.  I like consistency until it impacts power.  If
something gives me the power and functionality that I want, it could be
purple with green polka dots and interface via little glitter-printed
pads stuck to my toenails for all I care.  That's called "independent
thought".

> And 2 ancient Unix editors that do something else.

  Yup.  Different approaches, for different use cases and different
preferences.

> I don't buy that the way they do it is so much better. I have examined the
> evidence in detail, over years, and I am unconvinced.

  Nobody needs you to be convinced.  I hate to break the news to you,
but the world isn't exactly hanging on the edge of their seats waiting
to hear what you do and do not approve of.  I realize that many people
in our world who hide behind keyboards all day get occasional floods of
testosterone bravado and start believing that the world cares about what
they think, but really, they don't, for the vast majority of us.

>>    I know you don't care.  I do.  That's why you're not an emacs user,
>> and I am.  You'll find that removing functionality to make one program
>> look and act like some other one isn't an idea that many developers (or
>> users) will embrace.
>
> I'm not asking you to lose or remove anything at all. I'm asking for an
> extra mode to allow users of *every other editor on the planet* to use the
> one you say is the best.
>
> Is that so hard?

  Not at all.  But why don't you just use what you like and drop it?

> but you are so convinced that your way is the right way
> that you won't even entertain the idea that others' ways work better for
> them.

  No, I'm convinced that my way is the right way FOR ME.  I am not alone
in my preferences, but that's not relevant either.  YOU are the one who
is vocally finding fault with the tools that OTHER PEOPLE use for THEIR
work, asserting that they're all wrong because YOU think they should be
working a different way.  I really don't care what you do on your
computers.  And neither, I suspect, does anyone else.

> Like I said. I don't want to take anything from old hands. I want something
> that helps newbies migrate.

  Why?  Let newbies chose their own paths.  Or are you so afraid that
they might not turn out just like you?  I'm sorry for trampling on your
insecurities, but this is tiresome and I have stuff to deal with today.

> Would it impact the functionality of Emacs in any way if it called document
> windows "windows" and not buffers?

  Because document windows and buffers are two completely different
things!  Once again your assertions are based on incorrect and/or
incomplete information.  Is it so hard for you to understand that
different tools work differently, and that there are good reasons for
this?  Do you holler and scream at your screwdrivers because they don't
have nail-removal claws like your hammers do?

  Liam.  Seriously.  Just shut up before you embarrass yourself even
further.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ