[rescue] emacs vs. Word!, was Re: SUN PCMCIA SBus Card

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon May 28 10:26:50 CDT 2018

On Mon, 28 May 2018 at 17:19, Patrick Giagnocavo <xemacs5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the whole vi-vs-emacs thing as a debate, is dead... because no one
> will cede ground in the argument.

I think you're absolutely right.

> Common LISP (the standard) has something like 978 functions/reserved words
> in it.  Emacs in  a standard install has something like 10,000 commands
> available across all packages.  I'll point out that Common LISP the
> standard was criticized for being very bloated because they needed to
> accommodate Symbolics' variant of LISP.

:-D

> I've found my real love, and it is in outlining editors. I have a Mac OS 9
> machine and have MORE 3.1 on it (a guy wrote an exporter to XML) and
> Inspiration 6.0 and a couple of others, including the excellent
> Outliner/PIM called IN Control v3.5. Outliners work the way my brain does.
> I suppose OSX users use OmniOutliner.

Oh my, yes yes yes.

Outlining is how I work and think.

It's what keeps me using MS Word when otherwise I've left Windows behind. I
use Word on a Mac at home, and Word 97 under WINE on Linux on my laptops.
Just for the outlining mode. For everything else, LibreOffice is not only
fine, it's generally better, but it has no outliner.

--
Liam Proven b" Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk b" Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com