[rescue] emacs vs. Word!, was Re: SUN PCMCIA SBus Card

Patrick Giagnocavo xemacs5 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 10:19:15 CDT 2018

I think the whole vi-vs-emacs thing as a debate, is dead... because no one
will cede ground in the argument.

Myself, I've tried, really! to learn Emacs at a deeper level and it never
sticks; despite using it for about 2 years as my exclusive email client for
tech support during which I must have answered some 12000 emails...

Common LISP (the standard) has something like 978 functions/reserved words
in it.  Emacs in  a standard install has something like 10,000 commands
available across all packages.  I'll point out that Common LISP the
standard was criticized for being very bloated because they needed to
accommodate Symbolics' variant of LISP.

I've found my real love, and it is in outlining editors. I have a Mac OS 9
machine and have MORE 3.1 on it (a guy wrote an exporter to XML) and
Inspiration 6.0 and a couple of others, including the excellent
Outliner/PIM called IN Control v3.5. Outliners work the way my brain does.
I suppose OSX users use OmniOutliner.

When I get into programming LISP (on my plate), I still won't be using
Emacs at a power user level, if I use Emacs at all.

Cheers

Patrick