[rescue] tip and cu ::::WAS::::Re: SUN PCMCIA SBus Card

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Fri May 25 15:09:00 CDT 2018

please see inline comments

On 25/05/18 14:30, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 05/25/2018 03:23 PM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
>> I'm using it right now.
>>
>> My (x86) desktop system running OpenIndiana, using 'tip' thru one of
>> those fancy USB->serial converters to configure stuff thru the serial
>> console.
>
>    Terrifying.

:)    sorry to send shivers down your spine on a Friday afternoon on a (3) day holiday weekend.  I suppose, worse comes to worse, if
that's terrifying, I suppose that life can't be to bad.

>> In different (GUI) times, mid to late 1990's, I sometimes used this x11
>> utility called 'seyon', but now and for a long time, 'tip' and 'cu' is
>> where its at.
>
>    Wow I remember seyon, that was a great package.  I bet it's still
> around.

I *believe* it probably has been a long time since the source code has been updated, but yea, I keep a copy around.  OTOH, by far,
my favorite window manager is OLVWM. I guess it takes all types.

> I use minicom these days, and sometimes kermit.
>
>> Is there something else/better/different I should be using?
>
>    Hey man, use whatever works for you, of course.

I recently acquired a Raspberry Pi console cable, and for usage, they suggest the 'screen' utility.  I gave that a try on a
(somewhat) newer (10.12) Mac OS X desktop, and I see that it is using the /dev/cu device for communications.  Reference process
table entry:

410 % ps -ef | grep -i cu

     0  4725  4717   0 30Apr18 ttys017    0:06.52 screen /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
     0  4726  4725   0 30Apr18 cu.SLAB_USBtoUART   0:00.03 SCREEN /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART

411 %

>    But having been a UNIX guy since the mid-1980s, and working with
> nothing but UNIX guys since I started working, I'm astonished to hear
> that anyone uses tip (or cu for that matter).  It's kinda like "goto" in
> C: Not intended to be used, but when you decide that you need it, it
> tells you that it's time to refactor your code.  When you start to
> execute tip, it should be a reminder to install a real comm program.

hmmmmmm, I'm going to respectfully disagree here.  The usage of 'goto' is considered bad programming practice.
I've worked with many new admin's who, most definitely out-of-the-gate, were not vi people.  It's something that is thrust on them.
When everything is up and operational, there are (frequently) options.
OTOH, when something is down, in recovery mode, etc, one is forced to use what is available in single-user-mode, failsafe mode, etc.
  Sometimes that means useage of vi, tip, etc.   Sometimes a full terminal isn't available and one is forced to use a line-editor.

>    Just my opinion, of course, but the only time in my life that I've
> ever seen tip actually discussed as a program to actually get executed
> is in vendor documentation.
>
>    I did actually use it once, I think, to test dialer entries when
> configuring HoneyDanBer UUCP to get mail flowing on a 3B1.  On a
> *brand-new* 3B1.

FWIW, when Solaris 2.5 shipped with PPP capability, one had to do some basic setup/configuration of the 'cu' facility for PPP to
work.  My understanding was that was the first time that was included as part of the OS, and I upgraded (@HOME) from Solaris x86 ver
2.4 to get that PPP capability.  Prior to that, it was 3rd party packages, either PPP or SLIP or CSLIP.