[rescue] SUN PCMCIA SBus Card

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri May 25 14:30:32 CDT 2018

On 05/25/2018 03:23 PM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
> I'm using it right now.
>
> My (x86) desktop system running OpenIndiana, using 'tip' thru one of
> those fancy USB->serial converters to configure stuff thru the serial
> console.

  Terrifying.

> In different (GUI) times, mid to late 1990's, I sometimes used this x11
> utility called 'seyon', but now and for a long time, 'tip' and 'cu' is
> where its at.

  Wow I remember seyon, that was a great package.  I bet it's still
around.  I use minicom these days, and sometimes kermit.

> Is there something else/better/different I should be using?

  Hey man, use whatever works for you, of course.

  But having been a UNIX guy since the mid-1980s, and working with
nothing but UNIX guys since I started working, I'm astonished to hear
that anyone uses tip (or cu for that matter).  It's kinda like "goto" in
C: Not intended to be used, but when you decide that you need it, it
tells you that it's time to refactor your code.  When you start to
execute tip, it should be a reminder to install a real comm program.

  Just my opinion, of course, but the only time in my life that I've
ever seen tip actually discussed as a program to actually get executed
is in vendor documentation.

  I did actually use it once, I think, to test dialer entries when
configuring HoneyDanBer UUCP to get mail flowing on a 3B1.  On a
*brand-new* 3B1.

> That statement is almost like saying no one uses 'vi'.

  Yeah but vi doesn't suck! ;)  Lots of people use vi.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA