[rescue] what can you do with an Apple Quadro 840AV

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Fri May 18 08:28:57 CDT 2018

On 05/18/18 05:09, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 19:01:31 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>> This might be the only time that you'll see this, but I have to agree
>> with Richard.  There's no point to UTF-8 here.  Or in most other
>> English-dominated fora for that matter, no matter how snooty one may
>> be about proclaiming obsolescence.
>
> Without intending to re-open the debate (this is Bill's list run
> according to his preferences), and being particularly pedantic (I work
> in IT; it's an occupational hazard or even disease), there are in fact
> use cases for Unicode in English - the thorn (C>), the 'ae' and 'oe'
> ligatures, 'unusual' punctuation (interrobang, the irony mark, etc.).

I fairly commonly use the thorn and ae/oe, and less commonly eth; the
interrobang is well known to me; but today is the first I had heard of
the irony mark.

I suppose it's just as well that it never caught on.  I can only imagine
how it would be misused, overused and abused were it commonly known today.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net