[rescue] what can you do with an Apple Quadro 840AV

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri May 18 04:09:36 CDT 2018

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 19:01:31 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> This might be the only time that you'll see this, but I have to agree
> with Richard.  There's no point to UTF-8 here.  Or in most other
> English-dominated fora for that matter, no matter how snooty one may
> be about proclaiming obsolescence.

Without intending to re-open the debate (this is Bill's list run
according to his preferences), and being particularly pedantic (I work
in IT; it's an occupational hazard or even disease), there are in fact
use cases for Unicode in English - the thorn (C>), the 'ae' and 'oe'
ligatures, 'unusual' punctuation (interrobang, the irony mark, etc.).

And yes there are places 'out there' where non-ASCII graphemes are used
for English.

Of course 'smart' quotes are the least sensible reason for switching
any list to UTF-8.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
        It's a bad idea to let third parties generate outbound mail