[rescue] Sun 3/50 BTW (and Sun 2 keyboard)

Jon jlo at ludd.ltu.se
Mon Feb 26 17:04:13 CST 2018

On 26 February 2018 at 23:39, Chris Hanson <cmhanson at eschatologist.net>
wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2018, at 2:19 PM, Jon <jlo at ludd.ltu.se> wrote:
> >
> > Lastly (might as well take this chance to beg), I only have 1MB of RAM in
> > my sun-2 which restricts me to running only Sun's 1.x releases (and with
> > a shoehorn), if I ever get past the install issue.
> > Guess no one happens to have some spare RAM board they're willing to
> > let go to a good home? With compensation? ^_^
>
> Have you considered making one? Either one that you can mount old SIMMs
> to, or
> one using a couple of modern static RAM chips to max out the capacity with
> some trivial interfacing? Ib m pretty sure complete expansion information
> is
> available for Sun 2b&
>
> Oshpark can take KiCAD files directly now, too, you donb t even need to
> generate a Gerber file for making your own PCBsb&

Actually, the thought has crossed my mind, and I was even contemplating
doing a whole sun-2 CPU board before, when I was desperate and the CPU
was my main missing item (my Sun 2/120 is a real frankensteiner, made up
of parts from all over the place!)
The problem is that I mostly dream about these things, but I have so many
projects sucking up my time that few if any ever make it to the finish
line.
I think I even started on the schematics for a RAM board in Altium, but I
haven't started that program in, like, a year...
Would anyone else be interested in such a newfangled RAM board, or do
folks prefer the old genuine stuff?

- Jon