[rescue] Help with Sun 3's

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Dec 24 12:56:21 CST 2018

>> [-3/60s a diagnostic LEDs]
> Not sure if the old handbook with all the docs for the Sun 3s and
> diag info for the lights is available online.

It was at one point;
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~alanb/faq/Sun-Hardware-2.faq
included diagnostic light patterns for, among others, the -3/60.  (It's
still there now, but it's served without a Content-Type: and isn't HTML
and thus might not be very usable with a Web browser.  If you can "view
source" or equivalent, it may be more readable.)

Here's the table for -3/60s from that.  I don't have any other
reference to check this against; my -3/60s are in storage at the
moment.

3/60,3/60LE
        Bit 0 is on the right. The pattern is shown as it appears on the
        LEDs.

            Pattern     Status
            --------    ------
            11111111    Resetting
            00000001    PROM checksum test
            00000011    Context register test
            00000100    Segment map read/write test
            00000101    Segment map address test
            00000110    Page map test
            00000111    Memory path data test
            00001000    Nonexistent memory bus error test
            00001001    Interrupt test
            00001010    Time-Of-Day clock interrupt test
            00001011    MMU protection/status tests
            00001110    Parity error test #1
            00001111    Parity error test #2
            00010000    Memory test
            10000000    Self-tests have found an error
            01000000    An exception class error occurred

The last two lines are ORed into the other patterns, so that (for
example) 01001010 indicates an unexpected exception during the TOD
clock interrupt test.  00100000 blinking apparently indicates that it's
in the ROM monitor, either trying to interact with a human or trying to
boot.

Most OSes put an animated pattern of some sort on the LEDs once they
boot, but it sounds as though you're a long way from being concerned
about that.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org