[rescue] Dumping SunOS tapes

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Sep 8 10:33:03 CDT 2017

On 09/08/2017 10:34 AM, Mouse wrote:
>> Ok so I think the biggest issue is going to be the internal belts.
>
>> I have tried 5 tapes tonight (only 1 vendor tape - FrameMaker) and 3
>> of them had the tension belt give in.
>
>> Not going to run anymore tapes until I find a solution/replacement
>> belt.
>
> I've seen it said that opening a good cartridge and transplanting the
> belt to replace a broken one is workable, provided the two cartridges
> in question have identical tape lengths and thus identical belt lengths.
>
> Never had occasion to try it myself.

  I have done it many times.  Replacing the belts is easy once you've
done the first one or two.

  While I've not tried them myself, I'm told that ordinary rubber bands
might seem like they'd work but they actually don't.  Some people have
reported success with a product similar to rubber bands called
"Plastibands", I believe the manufacturer is called Baumgarten.  These
are available via Amazon.  I've not tried these either, but I probably
will at some point.  Up until now I've been lucky enough to have some
donor cartridges available when I need to recover data.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA