[rescue] Dumping SunOS tapes

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Fri Sep 8 10:02:39 CDT 2017

Hi John

I think you misunderstand where the belt is.

The belt is actually inside the tape cartridge and a single capstan wheel rubs
against a wheel in the cartridge to move this belt which moves both spools of
the tape. The belt, unlike cassette deck belts etc, is very thin, much like
the tape itself. Each length of tape has varying sizes of belt as the belt
runs around the tape spools themselves.

If you link to here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-inch_cartridge

You will actually see an old Sunos tape cartridge and others.

Peter
Peter Stokes
Ashlyn Computer Services
Mbl: 07977 532320