[rescue] Oracle kills Solaris

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Thu Sep 7 03:25:16 CDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 08:15:45PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>I'm not sure Oracle is imaginative enough *TO* take advantage of it.  If
>Oracle were imaginative, it would change the licensing just enough to
>allow *Oracle* to integrate ZFS into Oracle Enterprise Linux and be the
>only shipping Enterprise Linux distribution with full ZFS support.

Canonical seem to be happy shipping ZFS with Ubuntu these days, so I'm not
sure why Oracle don't do the same. I always assumed it was because they
wanted to keep their version of ZFS (ie pool versions 29 and higher) as
Solaris-only... (not to mention that the ZFS on Linux project isn't
something they can control).

Cheers, MJ
--
Michael-John Turner * mj at mjturner.net * http://mjturner.net/