[rescue] Oracle kills Solaris

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Wed Sep 6 19:15:45 CDT 2017

On 09/06/17 19:33, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 06:09:46PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Aaaaah ...  a succinct statement of the problem.
>
> 	When I was 17, and the patent umbrella covered literally
> my entire lifespan; this was scary.
>
> 	>20 years down the road, a patent umbrella no longer
> seems nearly as scary -- the patent will expire long before
> Oracle manages to take advantage of it.

I'm not sure Oracle is imaginative enough *TO* take advantage of it.  If
Oracle were imaginative, it would change the licensing just enough to
allow *Oracle* to integrate ZFS into Oracle Enterprise Linux and be the
only shipping Enterprise Linux distribution with full ZFS support.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net