[rescue] Oracle kills Solaris

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Wed Sep 6 15:07:01 CDT 2017

> I still believe that Solaris is better under memory pressure than
> Linux, however, with RAM being so cheap these days, it doesn't matter
> as much... I remember logging in to a heavily-laden Solaris machine

It might matter with containers... I recently ran into trouble with
Linux 4.4 and and LXC containers - memory limit was 2G per container,
this used memory control group as backend for this limit, and cache
reclaim did not work well in memcg, leading to OOM killer visits with
about a third of the 2G allocated for cache (and reclaimable).

Same memcg is used under docker... I wonder if the current kernels are
any better - but for production we moved to full VM-s with same amount
of RAM and these have behaved well.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)