[rescue] Oracle kills Solaris

Patrick Giagnocavo xemacs5 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 14:55:36 CDT 2017

Very sad situation.  However, Illumos and related, lives on, and ZFS
has made it out into the wider world, so there's that.

I still believe that Solaris is better under memory pressure than
Linux, however, with RAM being so cheap these days, it doesn't matter
as much... I remember logging in to a heavily-laden Solaris machine
running many zones, with 2MB of free memory, yet SSH was still
responsive enough to use.

Should probably install Illumos or whatever and try to build a
software-service on top of it with zones. While I recognize Docker as
being useful, the sysadmin in me still finds it abhorrent.