[rescue] Oracle kills Solaris

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Sep 6 12:41:35 CDT 2017

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>> But, it's evident that the purchase was really about controlling Sun's
>> patents and choking MySQL to uselessness.
>
> I actually disagree about that last part.  Oracle has worked *hard* on
> MySQL, and has fixed performance and scalability problems and
> storage-engine feature disparities that it has had for many years that
> were just languishing under Monty Widenius.

I'd argue that those fixes are merely the natural fallout of developing
the closed-source "enterprise edition," which allowed them to capitalize
on the age of "LAMP" within the market segment of companies that like
paying for useless support.

Otherwise, when compared to the strides that PostgreSQL made in the same
period of time, one can only puzzle at how the _much_ more popular
codebase advanced by so little.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX