[rescue] Oracle kills Solaris

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Wed Sep 6 10:32:53 CDT 2017

On 09/06/17 11:14, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> It would be Really Really Nice if Oracle would open-source (under an
> actual open-source license like Apache, X11, or even GPLv2) Solaris and
> disclaim their patents over ZFS.  But, it's evident that the purchase was
> really about controlling Sun's patents and choking MySQL to uselessness.

I actually disagree about that last part.  Oracle has worked *hard* on
MySQL, and has fixed performance and scalability problems and
storage-engine feature disparities that it has had for many years that
were just languishing under Monty Widenius.  (Though mysqldump still
needs to die and rot.  The mydumper project is what mysqldump SHOULD
have evolved into ten years ago, but didn't.)  Also, Oracle is finally
within reach of killing the doddering MyISAM storage engine.

Oracle buying Sun (and thereby MySQL) was also the boot up the arse that
it took to get Monty moving on MariaDB.  (I still think he's smoking
crack with his Aria engine though.  It's transactional, wait, no, it's
not, I mean it CAN be ...   *make up your damn mind*.  The age of
non-transactional storage engines should be over by now.)

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net