[rescue] SPARCclassic X - what software did this run?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Wed Sep 6 04:15:34 CDT 2017

Up to and including Solaris 7, diskless clients could be configured thru an
Openwin tool called the admintool, which shipped as part of the Solstice
AdminSuite package(s).  After Solaris 7, i.e. Solaris 8+, diskless clients
were/are still there, but had to be configured from the command line.

Thru the whole .COM boom, I was employed by Sprint, and contracted out to an oil
exploration company.  I (officially) was wearing a Cisco/network hat during my
time there, but still did some Solaris administration, although it wasn't my
primary job.  In short, there were others that solely wore a Solaris hat and
provided direction.

We had 6 or 7 floors fully populated by geologist, all with a Sun SPARC
workstation on their desk, ranging from SparcStation 10's/sun4m to sun4u boxes,
including (very much maxed out, for their time) Ultra 1/1e, Ultra 2, Ultra 5/10
and Tatung SPARC clones with Sun AXi motherboards towards the end, prior to my
leaving, around 2000.

The Unix guys in charge ran all these workstations as diskless workstations.

You might ask, "most of those boxes shipped with nice SCSI HDD's, what happened
to those?"  Great question.  Any local HDD's were used for local swap space.
Other (than me) powers-that-be determine the following:

* diskless workstations were easier to deploy and administer and patch on a
large scale

* once booted (<-this is key), in-house testing proved that applications ran
just as quick on diskless workstations as they did on boxes with the OS
installed on a local HDD.  Applications were NFS (ver 3) access regardless

* diskless clients were more resiliant to (l)user damage, i.e. a geologist could
physically cycle power on the workstation on his/her workstation, and the box
would boot with no need to 'fsck' as the OS was a network device, that had not
gone down hard.

This was also the only place that I had not only seen CacheFS used, but
successfully used.

History lesson over.

Specifically addressing your SPARC Classic, probably the best answer would be to
see specifically what version(s) of SunOS 4.x/Solaris 1.x or SunOS 5.x/Solaris
2.x were supported, then choose from there based on what application(s) you plan
to run or other criteria.

Media, physical or electronic/ISO is typically available on eBay, misc Internet
sites you found thru your favorite search engine and sometime, just by asking
here on this list for what you are looking for.

regarding your netboot question, I would answer yes, Sun diskless clients booted
using pretty much similar protocols as other diskless workstations, using RARPs
and NFS.  However, if you are interested in some variations on that theme, I
would invite you to look at the JavaStation and the Sun Ray thin client.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaStation>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Ray>

There were also a number of Sun Ray clones produced by Tadpole, General
Dynamics, Naturetech, Aimtec and Arima