[rescue] SPARCclassic X - what software did this run?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Sep 6 01:56:05 CDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 06:33:14AM +0100, Peter Stokes wrote:
>Hi Andrew
>I forget the exact software it was to run, I am sure someone will enlighten
>you, but pretty sure it was a marketing version of the classic (ie same
>motherboard and same chassis) with maybe no disk and limited memory, but could
>be upgraded to a full classic, a bit like they did with the Netra versions of
>the SS5 and SS20.
>I could of course remember it incorrectly...!

I seem to remember something along the same lines.  Throw a disk in there and
more RAM, an external CD-ROM, and "boot cdrom" to your heart's content and
there you go.

Here's an article where someone did exactly that:

http://archive.oreilly.com/pub/post/from_x_terminal_to_solaris_8_b.html

And here's the nvram tweaks required to make the SPARCClassic X recognize
itself as a normal SPARCClassic, from the nvram/hostid FAQ:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

SparcClassic /Classic X Terminal NVRAM differences

This section was supplied by Gary Cook <gcook at netwiz.net>. I have not been
able to try this personally because I don't currently have access to this
type of machine.

Change the following locations in NVRAM to switch between Classic and
Classic

 Address   ClassicX Value  Classic Value

 71202004  ff              00

 71202005  12              00

 71202006  08              00

 71202007  36              00

Notes:

   * Classic X requires all locations to be set to above values. If they are
     not, the system takes on the Classic personality.
   * Bootprom for Classic X cannot be Version 2.9. This version will ignore
     the above NVRAM changes. Classic X requires earlier versions, such as
     2.12.

Procedure

Classic --> Classic X

ok