[rescue] Aviator

john jferg977 at aol.com
Mon Nov 27 07:56:37 CST 2017

I found 3 cd's containing Aviator. I tried version 1.5.1 on a sparc 10
with cgsix frame buffer,B  SunOs 4.1.4 and it ran.B  the software has one
of those authorization schemes where you run a password generator, send
the results to California with money and they send you a license key.B
If you don't do this, it will run in demo mode for 60 seconds at a
time.B  We were Sun VARS so it may have been possible to bypass the
license key, but if there is, I can't begin to remember how.B  I do
remember that we used to have dogfights with F-18s across the network
with two of the other ex-pilots on the staff.B  Kids would likely have
been better at it.

I also have a manual, which is some 160 5.5x8.5 pages, all the better to
scan two pages at a time.

I ftp'd a tar file of this to one of our colleagues but haven't heard
what his experience was.B  I think he was trying to gin up a system old
enough to run it.

I'm old and retired and have no (NO, AS in NOT ANY) time to fool with
this.B  I would be delighted if someone wanting this would accept a mail
shipment of a disk and the manual and would promise to scan it, make a
pdf and share it with anyone else who's interested.

Whatever you do, DO NOT send me an email with a locked-out return.B  I've
had a public email address since 1983 and it's true, I get some spam,
and the occasional phishing expedition.B  The guys in Afrika who used to
send me letters offering to share some prince's estate with me if only
I'd send them the numbers for one of my charge cards seem to have gone
on to greener pastures.

So I feel if I don't need a wall around my email account, you probably
don't either so why should I waste any time trying to get back to you.

If someone wants to take this on, send me a real name, a real address,
and maybe a phone number and I'll try to get a cd and the manual to
you.B  But you have to promise to scan the manual, make a pdf and SHARE it.

BTW, it's perfectly possible that the guys who published this are still
around. One of them has an unusual name. I think they did this as a
moonlight project while employed at Sun.

john