[rescue] Looking for an LGA1366 motherboard

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Tue Mar 21 14:32:28 CDT 2017

> My cheap Xeons are E5620s. :D

Unfortunately - quad-cores :-/ Still decent (they have HyperThreading
& AES, 2.4GHz), and when you have the matching pair you can push to 8
cores with a lot of memory bandwidth & capacity - good for VMs.

> All my spare ram is DDR3 non-ECC anyway.

I don't do non-ECC anymore if there is valuable data... but removing
that constraint, those E5520 will work on pretty much any single- or
dual-socket that supports Westmere. The trick is to find a dual-socket
ATX motherboard (I haven't :-( ), which are rare. Larger-than-ATX
requires a large chassis, perhaps proprietary, and then it's easier to
buy the whole server from eBay anyway.

The 3530 will work on any single-socket X58 motherboard and has higher
clock. But it uses more power and lacks AES... The 5620 are better
IMHO, unless you find a free 1S motherboard that doesn't support
Westmere.

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau