[rescue] Firewire vs SPARC from my email archives::::::::::::::::::::WAS:::Re: Looking for parts

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Fri Jun 16 01:42:11 CDT 2017

> This particular note is from the Sun Managers list from 3 October 2003, but
> the vast bulk of Firewire on SPARC was similar.  I (personally) purchased a
> couple of 3rd party firewire cards as it is/was a great technology, at least
> leaps and bounds over USB, but had no personal luck on SPARC.  Also see 2nd
> note at bottom.

That holds true for Solaris. The hardware is of course capable for more.

Back when I used Sun Blade 100 on my work desktop, I switched to
sparclinux at some point and that would work fine with any firewire
device Linux supported. The only problem I found was grabbing video over
firewire from DV cam - the most convenient command line utility was not
aware of endianness and byte-swapped 16-bit audio channel data, so I had
to extract the audio track and fix it with sox manually.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)