[rescue] Firewire vs SPARC from my email archives::::::::::::::::::::WAS:::Re: Looking for parts

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Fri Jun 16 01:35:47 CDT 2017

These are (2) email notes from my personal email archives.  Hope they help or
provide some insight.

This particular note is from the Sun Managers list from 3 October 2003, but the
vast bulk of Firewire on SPARC was similar.  I (personally) purchased a couple
of 3rd party firewire cards as it is/was a great technology, at least leaps and
bounds over USB, but had no personal luck on SPARC.  Also see 2nd note at bottom.

Folks -

Apparently the only devices working with Firewire (IEEE 1394) are cameras.
And no info on SunRay writable media devices, so I guess the answer is
still nothing.

Rich Teer:
|| I have a Sun Firewire camera attached to my SB 100 - it works
|| well with Sun Forum 3.2.

David Stempnakowski:
|| The only devices I have seen able to use 1394 on a blade is a web cam.  I
|| only saw one listed on Sun's web site.  We have tried CD-ROMs and a few
|| other devices, but no luck.

Christopher Saul:
|| The only thing I have working is the camera that came with the Sun Blade
|| 100.  Otherwise I think the firewire support is a bit of a red herring,
|| rather like the pointless smart card!

Thanks guys!

Debbie

 >From the keyboard of Debbie:
 > Hey sunmanagers!
 >
 > Does anyone have any Firewire (IEEE 1394) devices working with a
 > Sun Blade 100 system?  I checked the iForce Directory but didn't
 > see anything, but that doesn't mean that someone hasn't figured
 > out a way to make things work anyway.  :-)
 >
 > Also, does anyone have any writable media devices (CDRW, JAZ, etc)
 > working on a SunRay (the thin client)?
 >
 > Thanks for any information,
 > Debbie

This note in particular was the only successful mention of Firewire on SPARC for
something that wasn't a webcam.

from the OpenSolaris ZFS discuss list 27 January 2009

Frank Cusack wrote:
 > just installed s10_u6 with a root pool.  i'm blown away.  so now i want
 > to attach my external storage via firewire.

I was able to use this cheap thing with good initial results:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124002

However, I ran into a frequent hang[1] and declined to put it in
the HWCL.  The hang appears to be a bug in the scsa1394 kernel
module, and are not yet fixed.  I've moved the disks our of
their Firewire case and inside a machine with SATA-to-IDE
converters (ick).

[1] http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6539587

Rob T