[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 175, Issue 4 - Sun Blade 2500 OS options

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Wed Jun 14 12:33:37 CDT 2017

*Could* Solaris 11 GA be modified to install and run on an UltraSPARC powered
system.  Yes, I believe it could, although, obviously not as shipped by Oracle.

I still have my old notes on how to modify my Jumpstart server (Solaris 10)
image to load Solaris 10 GA+ on Sun Ultra 1 hardware by pulling a couple of bits
off of a Solaris 10 Express CD and creating a couple of symlinks.

But...Solaris 11 as shipped from Oracle.  Absolutely not.

Please reference this URL straight from Oracle.

<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/systems/end-of-notices/eonsolaris11-392732.html>

End of Features (EOF) for the Oracle Solaris 11 Release

This section lists features that are no longer available in the Oracle Solaris
11 release.

End of Support for Legacy Hardware click here to expand or collapse

Support for legacy systems that have included the UltraSPARC I, II, IIe, III,
IIIi, III+, IV and IV+ processor architectures (as reported by the Solaris
'psrinfo -pv' command) has been removed. All Oracle SPARC Enterprise M-Series
Servers and Oracle SPARC T-Series Servers will continue to be supported.

Note: Oracle Solaris 10 will continue to be a supported operating system for
these affected platforms as per the current Oracle lifetime support policy.

Note that this is specifically for the Solaris 11 GA release and not the current
Solaris 11.3 release.

If you know better and can back it up, please share.  It won't hurt my feelings
in the least to be proven wrong here.

I have more old SPARC based hardware in my house than I will care to admit that
I would enjoy pushing to its limits with newer versions of Solaris.

Jerry

Digest email is evil - no one ever truncates