[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 170, Issue 17

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Fri Jan 27 20:46:01 CST 2017

On 01/27/2017 05:36 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   ...but I also read things in that article like Solaris development
> continuing, and being supported until 2034.  So not quite as much gloom
> and doom as was posited in the last thread about this.

    The operative questions are, "How much thrust is going to be put
behind Solaris development?" and "What constitutes 'support'?"

    One can pay lip-service to both, divest everything, and then hire
a consultant to answer the support questions, and, maybe, to fix the
real problems encountered.

    From my interpretation of things, the main fatality here is the
SPARC architecture, and this brings us one step closer to an Intel
monoculture -- and all the lovely things that those bring.

    The good thing is that SPARCs are not dead yet, although I'm going
to have to do the "attach an external battery to the ruddy NVRAM
chip" thing in my SS2 because a protracted power-cut to my home proved
that the embedded lithium battery has gone flat.  But, then again,
and in all fairness, what engineer could have imagined a SS2 in
daily use in the second decade of the 21st century.

    Cheers!