[rescue] New SPARC 10 lives

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Dec 7 22:09:33 CST 2017

On 12/06/2017 05:02 PM, john wrote:
> The new machine works fine. All I needed to do was change hostid and
> ethernet address to those of old machine, install the disks, boot and
> bingo.B

  Excellent, congrats.

> It also has a nicer case, I guess it wasn't in an engineering
> office - no coffee stains.

  HEY.  SOME of us engineers treat our equipment (and our books, etc)
with respect! B-)

> In the course of the hassle, I discovered my treasured application will
> run on a 20.BB  If anyone has one that's looking for a home.... for money
> too.

  Honestly you shouldn't worry too much about that.  Unless it's doing
something really weird, which was actually pretty unusual for
application software in the UNIX world, I'd bet that application would
even run on a current UltraSPARC system.  Or an SS5, SPARCstation-LX,
etc etc.

> it looks like the CPU was what was wrong with machine that died. I
> thought if it was ok, it would be fun to have a dual cpu machine, but no
> joy on that.

  Mbus processors aren't rare at all. (yet)  Grab a cheap one on eBay
and get yourself some SMP goodness. :-)

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ