[rescue] Cray listing on E-bay

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Dec 4 09:55:23 CST 2017

  I don't know what to tell you, Bob.  I've done it.

  Then I did it for a few others, then I did it for a machine that my
employer bought, in 1999.  I ran two of those machines (the one I had at
home, and the one at work) for several years.  I wrote tons of code on
those machines.

  Later, just a couple of years ago, I negotiated a noncommercial use
license for Unicos and actually got full install media.  A couple of my
other J90s were sold (to good homes) a few years ago to help fund the
creation of the museum, and my original J90 is there now, getting ready
to be run again, this time in a museum setting.

               -Dave

On 12/04/2017 12:46 AM, Bob Darlington wrote:
> As a former sysadmin for a j932, gonna have to disagree.  Ethan had a bunch
> and they sat for years because of this issue unless I completely
> misunderstood what he told me.  OS without Cray disks means paperweights.
>
> On Dec 3, 2017 10:24 PM, "Dave McGuire" <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/04/2017 12:14 AM, Bob Darlington wrote:
>>> There is no chance this system can work without disks with Cray firmware
>> on
>>> them.  Hopefully it's in running condition.
>>
>>   There's no firmware involved, and J90s aren't all that hard to get
>> running.  I've gotten several running over the years.  The OS
>> distributions (for both the IOS and the main processors) is not
>> difficult to find, and bootstrapping one from blank disks is easily
>> accomplished. (well, "easily" for a supercomputer...it's all relative)
>>
>>> I suspect the bids are for the trailer.
>>
>>   I doubt it.
>>
>>               -Dave
>>
>> --